This page is more for me than for the visitors! As my teacher Dipa always said, Yoga is more about remembering and returning than doing.
Things and People come and go but it is ultimately me who remains.
Yoga is a technology for arriving in this present moment. It is a means of waking up from our spiritual amnesia, so that we can remember all that we already know. It is a way of remembering our true nature, which is essentially joyful and peaceful.1
This page is dedicated to us all realizing our true nature.
link to port
Intentions are very powerful and should always be set before undertaking anything. If your intentions are aligned to benefit those around you, the universe will conspire to help you full-fill it.
- When you ask, the universe always answers. And sometimes, a definitive NO is much much better than an opportunity that’s offered. For the latter, you must decide whether you want to commit yourself or not. And that requires self knowledge. In the case of the former, there’s a certain comfort in knowing that it is not mean to be.
- The universe is NOT a catalog for your endless desires.2 So to be truly happy we need to cultivate compassion, learning to see that other people’s happiness and also our own happiness.
Having a purpose and an intention is good, but don’t let the mind get in the way. The nature of the mind is always to dwell in either the future (anxious) or the past (depress). Live fully and in now!
If a problem can be solved there is no use worrying about it. If it can’t be solved worrying will do no good.3
Wealth is measured by how much a person need, not by how much a person owns. Our needs and our attachment to things create lots of unnecessary suffering: frustrations, compulsiveness, greed, envy, anger, addiction. To examine what one truly needs requires some separation between the self and the ever busy mind. That separation is mindfulness. To cultivate mindfulness, is why we do meditations.
- We always yearn for more but this yearning is actually a yearning to unit with the divine.
- Physical practices, Yogasana, Kriyas, and meditation are all for inward transformation. Practices are for making friends with the self.
- The understanding of the small thing is the understanding of everything.
- This universe is not outside of you. Look inside yourself; everything that you want, you already are.4
- It is better to do your own dharma even imperfectly, than someone else’s dharma perfectly.5 When we look up to an idol, it’s import to realize that what we admire is not what they do but how they embody the way of living their dharma perfectly. So the person doing the admiring must take inspiration in living their own dharma fully (or at first figure out what it is), and avoid copying and ended up living someone else’s life.
- Life is play! The reason everyone loves sports is because it’s on the playing field that we see people displaying full intensity, full involvement6. In something as silly as kicking a ball. It has rules and boundaries. And so does life! But a game can only be played if you are okay with losing. But of course you would like to win! On the other hand, If you MUST win, then you will not be a very good player. So that’s life should be, we accept the rules, involve ourselves fully and intensely at every moment, and let play evolve without attachment to the outcome.
Yoga is skilfulness in action.7 Just as right speech is really skilful speech. The key is in action! How can the practice be applied off the mat or meditation cushion into an environment of work, with tight time constraints, and stressful stimuli? How do we hold on to that contentment, equanimity, and compassion that we cultivated? This is the divine game.
- Distract yourself with being in the present.
- Wisdom of no escape
- things can either awake you or put you further to sleep
- limitless responsibility
- life and meaning/ purpose
- if you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe
- stand on shoulder of giants
True freedom comes from within, don’t seek it without
- freedom requires responsibility, that’s why few men seek it.
- Real control should also be within. Seek control not of the ever changing and transient world. Control the five senses. If we only have five senses, then truly the world is really only of the five elements as consistent with so many cultures. In the end, it is the observer who matters more than the observed.
- Use pencil not pen. But when you make a mistake, cross it out, life’s too short for eraser.fg The simple way is often the best way. Sometimes the mind confuse elegance with complexity. But in fact, in virtuosity, elegance is just a masterful display of the basics.